If you do not have the book yet, you may buy the set (Book, Study Guide, and Prayer Journal on Amazon or the individual book at www.31oils.com/UndomesticatingGod
Attend the live Week 4 session at 2pm pacific (5pm eastern) on Sunday March 8, 2020 at http://www.facebook.com/JenOSullivanAuthor or catch the replay that will be loaded to this site after.
Instructions: Read through chapters 9 and 10 and answer the following questions. Be prepared to discuss the questions in your week four group meeting.
Note: Work diligently on this chapter. Make sure you are fully committed to understanding, knowing, and able to share, in your own words, the true Gospel Message according to Jesus.
CHAPTER 9: The Gospel Message
1. In as few words as possible, define the gospel?
2. What do you think the difference is between a Christian by tradition verses a Christian by faith?
3. Define conversion: address who, what, when, and proof. In these terms, discuss the Biblical support for, or challenges against as it relates to early childhood conversion.
4. Easy-believism validates “Christian by tradition” as true faith. Have you held any of the beliefs bullet pointed in this chapter as true doctrine? Which, if any, challenge you most and why?
5. Share in your own words what Lordship salvation means.
6. Try writing out the gospel message in your own words using “The Basics of the Gospel Message” outline. Make sure to pull in Bible verses to back up the message. Feel free to use verses from the book or other verses from the Bible. Use extra paper if needed.
7. What part of the gospel message is missing from the Roman’s Road to Salvation? Why do you think people leave that part out?
CHAPTER 10: Lordship Salvation
8. Considering the attributes of God, what words, actions, or schedule changes would you make if He were in front of you 24/7?
9. What is God’s expectation of His followers concerning sin? Use Biblical references. How does this information shape your understanding of Christian freedom?
10. What does it mean to “count the cost” of salvation? Isn’t salvation a free gift? Explain this possible dichotomy.
11. Share a time in your life when God sharpened you.
12. How did the sharpening affect your sanctification?
13. In what ways could Lordship salvation be a slippery slope to works based salvation?
Read James 2:14-26
14. What is the point James is making regarding works and faith?
15. Do you feel that some people are more “Christian” than others? Is this a Biblical idea, or a cultural idea? Explain and discuss.
Read the five chapters of 1 John
16. Were you convicted when you read 1 John? What parts in particular stood out to you?
Individual and Group prayer for the week:
Pray that God would help you fully grasp His redemptive plan.
Ask that the Holy Spirit would fill you with wisdom and understanding so that you can learn the message and be able to share it.
Extra Credit Homework:
Consider partnering up with a person in your small group to practice sharing the gospel with each other.
Consider going out in groups to share the gospel in a public place such as a bus ride, a town center, or mall. Find like-minded people. An example would be a playground where you bring your child and are able to strike up a conversation with another mom. Go to a different neighborhood to take the pressure off.
Verse to memorize this week:
“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:1-2 ESV)
Verse to meditate on this week:
“What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?” (Romans 6:1-2 ESV)