Pastor Mike Fabarez of Compass Bible Church is doing a phenomenal series on the Holy Spirit. If you live close by (Orange County, California Area) I highly recommend you come join us. If not, watch it live each Thursday night on Live Stream.
Compass Night 2013
Our Creator has revealed himself to us in the Bible as a triune being—one Essence eternally existing in three Persons. While it is perhaps easier for us to grasp the inherent distinctions between the roles of the Father and Son, we often fail to comprehend and appreciate the unique role and ministry of the Holy Spirit. In this important twelve-part lecture series Pastor Mike will help us broaden our understanding and deepen our gratitude for the daily operations of the Holy Spirit. Join us this fall on Thursday nights for Compass Night as we engage in a systematic study of Pneumatology.
– September 12 – The Personhood & Deity of the Holy Spirit (See below for notes)
– September 19 – The Titles & Emblems of the Holy Spirit
– September 26 – The Holy Spirit in Creation, Revelation & Inspiration
– October 3 – The Old Testament Ministry of the Holy Spirit
– October 10 – The Holy Spirit & Christ’s Ministry – Dinner: Beach Pit BBQ
– October 17 – Common Grace and the Holy Spirit
– October 24 – Special Guest: Pastor Mike Elliott
– October 31 – OFF for Fall Fest!
– November 7 – Special Guest: Pastor Pete
– November 14 – The Regenerative Work & Baptism of the Holy Spirit
– November 21 – The Indwelling & Sealing of the Holy Spirit
– November 28 – OFF for Thanksgiving
– December 5 – The Holy Spirit & Spiritual Gifts
– December 12 – The Filling of the Holy Spirit
Compass Night starts with a family-style dinner at 6:00p. AWANA and Thursday night KIDS Club are available for those attending Compass Night or Thrive. Parents or guardians MUST remain on campus when children are in KIDS Club.
Click here for details and registration for AWANA & KIDS Club.
NOTES FOR THE FIRST STUDY
THE HOLY SPIRIT #1
a systematic study of pneumatology
1. THE WORD “PNEUMATOLOGY”
Components: Pneumato / logy
Hebrew & Greek: Ruach or Pneuma / logos
Occurrences: OT 375 times. NT 379 times /. 339 times
Definitions & Imagery: Wind, breath, spirit. / word, speech, study
2. Or study of Pneumatology
A. What we will cover
1. Who the Holy Spirit is
2. What the Holy Spirit does
3. How we interface with the Holy Spirit
B. Why this is so important today
1. Lots of unbiblical teaching regarding the Holy Spirit
2. Lots of dangerous practices regarding the Holy Spirit
3. Lots of misunderstanding regarding the Holy Spirit’s role
C. The importance of “Roles” in the Trinity
1. School Yard Illustration
Small town. Only 3 adults in the school. You have been taught to respect them each as the authority. They all and different roles. You need to function under their authority.
~ The Father is the Principal
Admin, planning, oversight
~ The Son is the Teacher
Instructs, leads, directs students
~ The Holy Spirit is the Custodian
Facilitate, repair, protects, sets up
4. The Holy Spirit is a Person
Personhood The Holy Spirit
Intellect, reason, logic. Isaiah 11:2
Isaiah 11:2 (ESV)
And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.
Emotion, feelings, passion. Ephesians 4:30
Ephesians 4:30 (ESV)
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Will, volition, purpose. 1 Corinthians 12:11
1 Corinthians 12:11 (ESV)
All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.
B. He takes personal action.
1 Corinthians 2:13
C. He is described as a person
~. HE IS OUTRAGED
~. HE IS LIED TO
~. HE IS BLASPHEMED
~. HE IS OBEYED
~. HE IS A HE
5. The Holy Spirit is God
A. The Holy Spirit is ascribed divine attributes
~ HE IS OMNISCIENT
~ HE IS OMNIPRESENT
~ HE IS ETERNAL
~ HE IS CREATOR
Genesis 1:2 and Job 33:4
B. The Holy Spirit is engaging in divine actions
~ WORKED MIRACLES
~ AGENT OF THE VIRGIN BIRTH
~ DIVINE CAUSE OF SCRIPTURE
2 Peter 1:21 and Revelation 2 & 3 “hear what the Spirit says to the Churches”
C. The Holy Spirit is described as “Another”
He is not a modalists. Meaning he does not wear various hats.
D. Associated with the Father and Son
~ WITH THE FATHER
1 Corinthians 6:11
~ WITH THE SON
~ WITH BOTH
Matthew 28:19 and 2 Corinthians 13:14
E. Bears Divine Titles
1 Corinthians 12:4-6